How to troubleshoot Windows Movie Maker has stopped working
Generally, the most common cause of Windows Movie Maker has stopped working is that it wasn’t installed with default settings or completely. If this was an issue for you, try installing and configuring Windows Movie Maker as per its defaults to re-enable your editing software on your PC.
The “windows movie maker not working windows 10” is a problem that has been present for a while. Windows Movie Maker has stopped working on Windows 10, and Microsoft has released various fixes to fix the issue.
authored by Matthew Adams
Expert in Windows and Software
Matthew is a freelance writer who has written a number of articles on different technology-related themes. His major interest is the Windows operating system and all that surrounds it. He is enthralled by… Read more
9th of December, 2021
Originally published in March of 2021.
- Movie Maker has ceased functioning for many users, and out-of-date graphic drivers may be to cause.
- Running some programs might stymie the video editor’s performance.
- Switching to Compatibility Mode is part of the Windows Movie Maker troubleshooting procedure.
- You might tackle the problem quickly by using an Adobe smart tool as an alternative.
Make sure you have the necessary software to back up your ideas! All you need is Creative Cloud to bring your ideas to reality. Combine all of the Adobe programs for incredible effects. You can create, edit, and render in a variety of formats using Creative Cloud:
- Infographics and 3D models
- There are several more works of art.
Movie Maker is video-editing software that was formerly included as part of the Live Essentials package with earlier Windows systems. Movie Maker has stopped functioning for certain users, according to user forums.
Two of the most common WMM problem messages that appear on some users’ desktops are “Windows Movie Maker has ceased operating” and “Windows Movie Maker does not start.”
When users attempt to open files in the video editor, the stopped functioning error message may appear. As a result, during playing, the program crashes, shuts, or freezes.
The following are a few options for resolving the stopped functioning problem messages and occasional freezes in Windows Movie Maker.
What should I do if Movie Maker suddenly stops working?
1. When using Movie Maker, close all other programs.
- To launch the Task Manager window, right-click the taskbar and choose Task Manager.
- Then, on the Processes tab, right-click all of the program listed under apps and choose End task.
- In addition, you may free up additional RAM for WMM by closing certain third-party applications mentioned under background processes.
- Select the Startup tab to eliminate startup applications such as antivirus utilities. Then click the Disable button next to the program you want to disable.
When your laptop or desktop runs out of RAM, Movie Maker may stop running and show a crash error message.
When you’re running a number of different programs at the same time, Movie Maker may run out of RAM. If your desktop or laptop has a modest quantity of RAM to begin with, this is more probable.
So, while you’re using Movie Maker, make sure there are no other software windows active on your taskbar. Close any third-party applications in your system tray as well.
2. Install the latest graphics card driver.
2.1. Manually update drivers
- On your keyboard, hold down the Windows key and the R key at the same time.
- This should bring up the Device Manager, which should look something like this.
- Find the driver you need to update in Device Manager.
- Choose Update from the context menu when you right-click on this field.
- If a driver update is available, follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
- Restart your Windows 10 machine after you’re finished.
You may also fix the problem by manually upgrading your system, which is simple to accomplish; just go to Device Manager and follow the aforementioned steps.
Automatically updating drivers, on the other hand, is more dependable and secure for your PC, and you just have to pick the drivers you need to update; the rest will be handled by specialist software, such as DriverFix.
3. Disable any third-party video file filters that may be installed.
- To begin, hit the Windows key + R combination to launch Run.
- Insert the following line in the Run dialogue box and hit the Return key: cmd
- In the Command Prompt, type cd followed by the path to the folder that contains Movie Maker.
- Then type moviemk.exe /safemod at the command prompt to start Movie Maker in safe mode.
- Select Tools from the drop-down menu.
- On the Tools menu, choose Options.
- Then, in the Options box, go to the Compatibility tab.
- A list of third-party filters may be found on the Compatibility page. First, uncheck all filters with an.ax extension.
- Deselect all third-party filters on the Compatibility tab window if Movie Maker still crashes.
Incompatible video filters are often the cause of the Windows Movie Maker has stopped operating problem message.
Deselecting third-party video file filters from Movie Maker’s Compatibility tab (in the classic version) may help to resolve the issue.
4. Use a third-party video editing program instead of Windows Movie Maker.
Adobe Premiere Pro is widely regarded as the industry standard for professional video editing. This is a sophisticated application with a plethora of unique effects and professional functions.
Adobe Premiere Pro has all the features you’ll need to turn your film into a high-quality movie, including the ability to edit videos in any format from 8K to virtual reality.
With this timeline-based video editor, you can cut, bind, add soundtracks, and special effects to pretty much whatever you want.
Furthermore, like with all other Adobe products, you can now test it out for a full 7 days for free, so go ahead and give it a go.
Get Adobe Premiere Pro if you don’t already have it.
5. Switch to Compatibility Mode in Windows Movie Maker.
- Some Movie Maker users have reported that running the program in compatibility mode fixes the problem.
- To do so, right-click a Movie Maker shortcut icon and choose Properties from the drop-down menu.
- Select the Compatibility tab, as illustrated in the screenshot below.
- Check the box for Run this application in Compatibility Mode for.
- From the drop-down option, choose the most recent Windows platform that precedes your current OS.
- Activate the Apply button.
- To dismiss the window, click OK.
Some customers said that running Movie Maker in Compatibility mode fixed their problem with the Windows Movie Maker troubleshooting procedure.
Follow the actions outlined above to see if they assist you in resolving the problem. If you’re still having issues, look into the following options.
Windows Live Essentials Suite should be repaired.
- Press the Windows key + R hotkey to enter the Run dialog box.
- To launch the uninstaller window, type the following into the Open text box and click OK: appwiz.cpl
- In the search box, type Windows Live Essentials.
- Uninstall/Change Windows Live Essentials by selecting it and pressing the Uninstall/Change button.
- Then, to repair Live Essentials programs, pick the Repair radio choice displayed right below.
- Continue by pressing the Enter key.
The Repair option in the Windows Live uninstaller window may be used to repair the suite’s programs. When you realize that Windows Movie Maker isn’t operating on Windows, keep that choice in mind.
7. Uninstall and reinstall codecs
If video playing in WMM freezes, your desktop or laptop may have a damaged video codec. If this is the case, reinstalling a codec may be able to resolve Move Maker’s playback freezing and other difficulties.
Codec-Sniper is a freeware tool that gives you an overview of your computer’s codecs and filters, as well as their current condition. The program’s Status column indicates whether or not a codec is successfully installed.
You may also delete codes using the Delete button in Codec-Sniper.
As a result, Codec-Sniper may be used to delete video codes. You may also use the Programs and Features Control Panel applet to delete codec packs like K-Lite.
Reinstall Windows Movie Maker if necessary.
- In Windows, open the Run accessory.
- Insert the following line in the Run text box and hit Enter: appwiz.cpl
- To access the window below, pick Windows Live Essentials and click Uninstall/Change.
- Then, to delete the suite, choose Uninstall and click Continue.
- Before reinstalling Movie Maker, restart Windows.
- By choosing Download Now, you may reinstall Windows Live Essentials 2012.
- Go to the official Microsoft website and click the Get button to get the old Movie Maker 10 edition for Windows.
When Windows Movie Maker stops operating, another option is to reinstall it. Microsoft’s website has a download link for Windows Movie Maker 10.
These are some of the most effective techniques for resolving Movie Maker errors such as it has stopped operating or will not start.
Whether you choose to use an alternative video editor, such as Adobe Premiere, or troubleshoot the Windows video editor, we are certain that our solution will assist you in resolving the issue.
Please leave a remark in the designated box below if you have any more thoughts on this topic.
Most Commonly Asked Questions
Was this page of assistance to you?
Thank you very much!
There are insufficient details It’s difficult to comprehend Other Speak with a Professional
Start a discussion.
Watch This Video-
The “windows movie maker download” is a software that allows users to create videos. It can be used on Windows, Mac and Linux systems. If the software has stopped working, it may be caused by a number of reasons.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why has my Movie Maker stopped working?
A: This could be caused by a variety of reasons, including but not limited to your internet connection dropping or you running out of space on the computer. To fix this issue, it is recommended that you move any unnecessary files from your Movie Maker program into somewhere else (such as onto an external hard drive) and try restarting it again.
How do I fix Windows Movie Maker?
A: There are a few ways you could go about fixing Windows Movie Maker. For starters, simply reinstalling it may solve the problem for your computer; however, if this doesnt work then try downloading another version of it from the Microsoft website that is compatible with your systems operating system. If neither of those solutions works for you then I would suggest restoring back to an earlier time in which MP4 files were not being generated within Windows 8/8.1 or 7 as these versions didnt have enough compatibility issues where they caused too many problems on older machines with our software and we had to find fixes by reverting some things that made them incompatible while still making sure they worked well on newer computers so there wouldnt be any further crash-based malfunctions like what has been happening recently
How do I reset Movie Maker?
A: The only way to reset a movie is to delete it and then re-save the new version.
- windows movie maker troubleshooting
- failed to start windows movie maker
- cannot install movie maker windows 10
- windows movie maker 2021
- windows movie maker not exporting video