Way On How to Remove Thermal Paste from Motherboard
Thermal paste is used to improve the rate of heat dissipation from the processor on your computer. You can buy thermal pastes in most electronics shops. With time, thermal paste gets older and you have to replace it with new one. However, removing the old paste from a CPU can be a very tedious task if you do not follow some steps.
Here are simple steps that you can follow to remove thermal paste from your PC’s motherboard;
1. Get the items you need, which include a screwdriver, alco-clean (or rubbing alcohol) and an old toothbrush.
2. Turn off the motherboard, unplug it and open it using screwdrivers or bolts depending on the type of motherboard available.
3. Get rid of the old paste from the CPU and heat sinks if it is there. Use your fingers to remove as much paste as possible, but make sure to wear gloves during this process because thermal paste contains metallic particles which could damage your skin when they come in contact. Try not to leave any residue on the heat sink.
4. Use tissue paper to clean the surface of the CPU and heat sinks so that you can clearly see if there is any paste left on them.
5. Once done, use cotton buds dipped in alco-clean, rubbing alcohol or glass cleaner to remove all visible paste residues from the CPU and heatsinks. Ensure that you use cotton buds to clean all the edges of the CPU surface.
6. Allow sufficient time for the motherboard to dry completely before reassembling it.
7. Reconnect the motherboard to your PC and turn it on to see if there are any improvements in its performance, If you do not feel like opening your computer’s case again, you can always buy a new thermal paste for your CPU.
Some manufacturers produce thermal pastes with silver content which is more effective than the pure metal ones that are devoid of silver. If you want to increase the rate of heat dissipation from your computer’s motherboard, then you can opt for a thermal paste that is made from silver content. Remember to clean the old thermal paste well before applying new one as it might interfere with the ability of the new thermal paste to conduct heat away from components on your PC’s motherboard.
The consequences of not removing thermal paste properly
In your motherboard can be catastrophic as they could cause overheating of your components. Ensure you follow the steps to success in order to remove thermal paste from a CPU,and do not expose yourself or other people to danger by working on a PC that has been turned off to avoid accidents.
It is also advisable to wear eye protection when working on your computer. Follow the steps mentioned above in order not to nullify the returns you will get from using the instructions here for removing thermal paste from a CPU.
Thermal paste is used to improve the heat dissipation from a processor on your computer. However, removing the old one and replacing it with new one can be very tedious if you do not follow some steps. Here are some easy steps that you can follow to remove thermal paste from your PC’s motherboard; clean using cotton buds dipped in alcohol or glass cleaner .
You can also opt for a thermal paste made with silver content to increase the heat dissipation from your computer’s motherboard. Remember to clean the old thermal paste well before applying new one as it might interfere with the ability of the new thermal paste to conduct heat away from components on your PC’s motherboard.